Earth exists in a goldilocks zone for life; the temperature is just right for liquid water. We are all here because of the weird and wonderful chemical properties of water. Here are just a few:
- When water becomes solid it floats.
- Hot water freezes faster than cold water.
- Water is a liquid when other chemicals of similar atomic mass are all gases.
- Water is an almost universal solvent.
- Water has a surface tension on which objects can float and on which living things can walk.
- Water can stretch and is put under tension and pulled up microscopic tubes to the top of the world’s largest trees.
Water is the weirdest thing in our world.
It’s also magnificent as the waves crash on Westray.